Monday, July 13, 2009

Survey

I am very serious about this. To all those casual readers who never comment, I really want to hear from you. I am even making it easy by putting a survey in the margin. Really I want to know what your opinion.

As you may know we are having our first girl in just a few months. This girl thing is new to me and I admit, even thought I am a girl there are things I feel unprepared for. The thought on my mind lately, (keep in mind I am on bed rest, not much else to do but think) is baby headbands.

I always swore that I would never use them on my little girl. Neither my sister or sister-in-law ever put one on there baby girls. And as far as I know many of my friends also resisted the trend. But here is the thing. My second baby was BALD! He is now three and still doesn't get much credit in the hair department. And I am starting to think that if I "say no to the bow" she just won't look like a girl. I have even noticed a few cute headbands lately. I just really don't like the ones where the bow is bigger than the baby. And I really didn't like them when they first came out. Not to mention it looked to me like a torture device for the poor little girl.

But then again, she could have hair. Jackson had hair. Then I could do the little bow or barrette stuck in the hair to give her a girlie look. And then I'd feel like I stuck to my principals. But really, what do we know before we have kids. I swore my kids would always be clean, they would never eat mac & cheese, and they would always be the most well behaved kids on the block. Yeah, we really don't know what we are talking about before we have kids. I always swore I would never drive a minivan. When I got one I felt that my brothers and sister slightly lost respect for me. Lines like "I just don't think we are minivan people." were said. My response. You people are crazy! This van is the one of the best parent things that ever happened to me, along with the magic eraser and oxy-clean! The way that the van has made my life easier I can't even express. Then there is the purchase of a gaming system I swore I would never buy. We got a Wii last Christmas and it has been so much fun. We don't play it much but when we do all four of us are up and laughing. It had the opposite effect from what I thought gaming systems do. If we couldn't change and adapt, then we wouldn't grow and learn.

All this for just one question. What do you think of the baby headbands (or head tunicate as we called them) for baby girls?

16 comments:

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

I agree that the ones where the bows / flower are bigger than the child's head aren't my favorite thing, I think they can be done tactfully sometimes. What my sisters always did was made little bows out of plain 1/4 inch ribbon and stick it to their heads with KY jelly. no headband, just the little cute bow. I'll try and find a picture to send to you.

Ann said...

Gotta do the bow for sure! They identify them as little girl. I remember when I let a girlfriend watch Grace and when I went to pick her up she had me the little pebble look with a bow....it just identifies her as girlie....I never went back and she did have hair.

Chris and Suzette said...

SO BOW!! I love the bows! I made bows for everyone . . . years before I had my own girls to put them on. I cringe if they leave the house without one (or two) I have literally 3 huge boxes of ribbon and make them regularly before walking out the door because "they don't have one to match that outfit". Ok, enough, you get the picture. GO BOW!!

Megan J. Dawson said...

I have done both. Abigail was bald till she was one, she wore headbands a little bit... mainly for church. but not massive gerber daisy ones. Carly just either has a bow stuck in with glue or ky jelly or nothing at all. I think just do whatever you feel like that day.

Holly said...

I am with you on disliking the big bow, however they make some cute little flowers and some other little bows that you can put in their hair. I liked using the nylon band with Sadie. I can't vote either way because I think the huge bows are ridiculous, but it is pretty important especially when you have a bald baby to let people know it is a girl. Good luck.

abby o said...

I've harbored a lot of prejudices against a lot of things and try as I might I can't muster any animosity toward the hair bow. I say if it feels right in your heart just go with it.

becky said...

yes, yes, yes! headbands are so cute! the bigger the better.

The Hartungs said...

I'd say do an open weave for the elastic round the head that way it's fancier than just a ribbon, and then maybe that way you don't have to have a big flower on it at all. I know you might make yours but i'll email you a blog site that makes bows to see if you likey.

Amy said...

I've never been big into the whole bow thing. My girls have all had giant heads so "brain squeezers" leave practically-permanent indentations. That looks painful. But you do need at least one ridiculous blackmail picture of your daughter in a ginormous bow. That's just your duty as a mom.

A house full of five said...

Girls look like girls because you dress them in pink. :) That was my pre-girl comment: My daughter will not wear pink. Yeah right!!

You have a good sense of style. You will do what you think looks cute after meeting her. Until then, you can dream about all the cute outfits that match those big bows!

Jen said...

My girls (Emma and Clara) never liked the bows, and as soon as they could, they yanked them off. Or I yanked them off, because I got so tired of adjusting them over and over again. I used small, soft ones, and I never really liked the ones that were so huge that the flower practically hung over their eye. Madeline, however, wore her (small) bows perfectly and seemed content in them. I say that if you like the bow, let it happen. If not, Little Miss will look adorable anyway!

Rosanne said...

I am FOR the headbands and bows. With the small bows...KY doesn't work. But Elmer's Glue does!! Just a dab will do ya. Then rinse with a wash cloth to get it out. Easy, peasy...and so cute. There are plenty of head bands that don't squeeze their little brains out. You just have to test them out...cause every baby's head size is of course different and will determine what headband you use. If you're going to do headbands and bows, though, do it early. Because if you decide to start putting them in when she gets grabby...she'll yank them out and not like them. But if you start early, she'll be used to them. Like others are saying, you'll decide what you like on her when she's here....but I say at least TRY the bows and headbands. :) Have fun!! Girls are awesome to dress up...it's like having a real live dolly! ;)

mindy sincich said...

Oh, you have to do the bow. It is so fun! I agree that you can't do a bow bigger than the baby's head, but they are easy to make and then you can adjust it to fit your baby so it is not so tight around her head. Have fun with it!

jordan said...

no way, hosay.

Anonymous said...

I know I am late at this, but having three girls, I say skip the nasty tourniquet, and pierce her ears. Jared never let me with our girls, but I think it is adorable. Cruel you say? Perhaps, but so cute! Mine were pierced by three weeks, and it didn't scar me! :) Have fun deciding, Any names yet?

Dave and Mel said...

hey Wendy- I am totally late on this one, but I as I was reading this post I was remembering you saying that headbands don't work on your head because of the shape of your head or something and it made me laugh that I remembered this conversation :) So, i say use the headbands, cause you never know if she'll be able to wear them later in life!