Monday, July 27, 2009

My busy day

I had a busy day!

Now normally this would not be news, but for someone who is supposed to be on bed rest, it was darn right crazy. It all started with a visit in the morning from a friend who has a boy Jackson's age. During all the running around and playing that takes place when friends come over, Asher hurt his hand. Asher never cries when he gets hurt, and if he does it last about 4 seconds. This crying lasted much longer than that, then turned into a persistent whine. Then I noticed that he was not using his hand and was cradling it in his lap. When I looked closer I noticed a bump on the top of his hand. So we were off to the emergency department for a closer look. I found a friend who could take Jackson. Then me and Asher headed to the hospital to spend some quality time together. It really was quality time. I loved sitting in the exam room with Asher and listening to his stories and watching him charm everyone he came in contact with. The x-ray techs loved him. They told me usually when they take x-rays of a three year old, it is almost impossible. Then they saw I was pregnant so I couldn't even go in the room with him, so they thought they would never get the pictures. But he walked right in and did exactly what they told him to do. They said he was easier than any other patient they had that day. He loved seeing his images afterwards. After all that, I got and inconclusive response, and we were discharged with Asher in a splint, and orders to see pediatric fracture specialist. So they didn't tell me if he had a fracture, but want me to see a fracture specialist. I don't know what that means.

I want to interject a little something here. As we were getting ready to go to the hospital, my other little charmer, Jackson, said; "I am so worried about Asher. He has been such a good brother to me all this time." A little dramatic, but so sweet.

When we were done in the ER, I had an appointment of my own, so I took Asher with me to my doctor. Everything is going well, and they might even turf me from high-risk to regular OB. I think that is ridiculous with so little time left in my pregnancy, and my real high risk time approaching, but also good to hear that I am doing better. When we were all done at the hospital, we went and got Jack and I decided, while we were out, I would take the boys out for ice cream.

As we sat in the shade eating our ice cream and I watched my two beautiful ,happy boys, I realized I was really enjoying our busy day. Everyday has turned into the same monotonous day since we moved here, due to the bed rest. There hasn't been much excitement. So for those boys, getting to go out for ice cream was a great day. Even if it did come at the expense of a broken hand.

2 comments:

Jon and Melissa said...

Wow! What a day! That is too bad about Asher's hand, but if it brings ice cream and an escape out of the house I guess it isn't so bad! Ha. I am glad to hear that you are moving toward "normal" in the pregnancy department. Don't listen to them-still be very careful! I finally got to catch up in reading your blog. I am in favor of bows. Emma looked adorable in them and I could make them to match all her outfits. Don't let Mitch persuade you otherwise! Keep doing what you are doing and keep that little baby in!

Rosanne said...

Poor little guy. But on a good note - good to hear you are doing really well with the pregnancy and got to be out and about that day. Take it easy! Oh, and good job Asher for getting x-rays so well - that's awesome!