
Jackson recently participated in the district wide STEM Expo. Honestly, I don't know what STEM stands for, but it was a big academic fair. His project was on "Endangered Species of the Wetlands." He worked on it with his friend Danner, who loves animals almost as much as Jackson. Danner's specialty was reptiles, he brought two fire belly toads. Jackson's specialty was of course, birds. T The center of the gym had all the rows and rows of kid's projects. All along the outside were different professional booths. There was the Benton Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Jackson's favorite, and I have to say they loved him. The rangers were so surprised to see a 9 year old that could identify so many birds. There was also the Air Force bomb squad complete with a bomb robot. The Expo was, as I put it, like Halloween for smart kids. There were stations all around the gym that gave away all kinds of fun cool stuff and had projects for the kids to do. It was hard to keep Jackson and Danner at their station because they wanted to be out collecting things. It was a really fun time for the whole family.

We were surprised when we saw Jackson's project. Parents were not allowed to contribute. I was really worried initially, but after I saw his work I realized what a great things this was. He did it all on his own, including the powerpoint presentation that went along with it. He learned so much and gained so much confidence.
One of the stations had this short-eared owl. One of Jackson's favorites.
All the kids made one of these at an engineering companies station.
No comments:
Post a Comment