
Easter weekend wasn't quite what we planned. I was going to go to Midway to visit my family, but changed my plans at the last minute. Mitch was on call for the week-end, but up to that point, he had only been called in for one case, maybe two on his weekend calls. So I decided didn't want to leave him alone over a big holiday. He ended up working friday until 10 pm, all day Saturday until 10pm, and then all day Sunday until 3 AM. I did Easter Sunday alone for the first time since we were married. It was okay. I think the kids still had a good day. I really tried to make it fun for them and we had some really great food. We did, however, save the egg hunt for the day after Easter.
I made these bird's nest and baby chick cupcakes. We don't do the Easter bunny so the kids don't wake up to hidden eggs. I did have their baskets out and I wanted them to wake up to something festive. This is how the table looked when they woke up. Sadly for them, it was "look but don't touch." All the sweets were for after dinner, but I let them look through their baskets and blow some bubbles.
The kids before church.
Of course we were super late because I wasn't expecting to have to get the kids ready for church by myself. It takes a lot of time to put together all this cuteness.


The boys and I dyed Easter eggs after church.
I dyed one egg that looked ombre. After that the boys called every egg they dyed "omber," or "ombra,"occasionally they would get it right and say "ombre" right but with a really strong spanish accent.
Dinner was brisket, asparagus, fruit salad and parmesan potatoes. Dinner was great, but really quiet. With Mitch at work, and Lily and Greta sleeping, it was just me and the boys. It was nice to spend time with my boys, they were really sweet and fun to hang out with. It just made my table seem so big with just the three of us.
On Monday, with Mitch home post-call and the kids still home for spring break, we were able to finish our Easter traditions, starting with the jelly bean grab in our living room.

We gave Lily a head start.
Then we went outside to find eggs.


love the baby but crack!
After the eggs, Mitch started blowing bubbles for the kids and the neighbor kids.

In the end it all worked out. I just felt bad for Mitch. He really worked hard Easter weekend, I guess I did too, but I think my work was more fun.
My favorite part was listening to the kids tell me what they learned in church on Sunday. Lily even said, "They crucified Jesus" yes, she said "crucified." She also told me that Jesus died for us. It is so sweet to have a simple and pure reminder of why we celebrate Easter.
1 comment:
What an amazing Easter spread! And I'm dying over your table....soooooo perfect! I want one! ; ) My fav was the pics of the girls in their matching Easter dresses!
Post a Comment