Saturday, April 21, 2012

Asher's Day at the Dentist

The list of crazy little medical issues with Asher continues.  About a month ago he complained of a bump on his gums.  Mitch looked at it, and it was a big, yucky abscess.  I took him to the dentist, he recommended antibiotics, and if that didn't work then his two front teeth would need to be pulled.  One month, and a few dentist appointments later, his teeth were pulled. 

before

I had to schedule this appointment when Mitch was home since there was no way I could deal with a drugged up six year old.  I am so glad that Mitch was able to do this, however I so wish I could have viewed the scene that Mitch described to me in the dentist office.

The strategy for sedating children at this pediatric dentist office is to have all the kids come in an hour early where they are given the sedation medication, then sent off to the waiting room to wait for the medication to take effect.  The kids went into the waiting room and began to play, eventually each of the kids, about six of them, started to feel the effect.  One boy got up and tried to walk and almost fell, his mom barely caught him in time.  Mitch was watching a bunch of drugged up children.  I so wish Mitch would have used the video on his phone, but he didn't want the other parents to see him filming their kids.  It just sounds so funny.

After the sedation took effect they took Asher back and gave him nitrous in preparation to remove the teeth. It didn't really work for him, he would not fall asleep.  He is a stubborn little guy.  They gave him injections to numb the gums, and the teeth were removed.



He was silly and loopy when he came home and sat happily on the couch, and ate Jell-O, pudding, and applesauce.  He got to play his DS and watch TV.  He eventually fell asleep for a few hours on the couch.  Once he woke up he was ready to play with Jackson and continues to ask me what cool toy he could get from the Tooth Fairy, (which he knows is me) for losing two teeth at once. 

My favorite side effect is his new lisp.  His (S)s are really funny.  He can, however, still whistle which makes him really happy.  One of his biggest concerns with getting his teeth pulled was that he would not be able to whistle anymore.
I love his new smile

1 comment:

Jon and Melissa said...

I am going to have to show Henry this. He FINALLY lost one of his bottom teeth after the other one had already grown it. I had to pull it-it wasn't pretty, but he wanted to lose a tooth so bad. I hope he doesn't follow in Ashers footsteps and have to get some pulled by the dentist.