Friday, March 9, 2012

Kiddo TV; just a few thoughts

I just spent the last few hours watching Nick Jr. with my 2 year old daughter.  Would I prefer to be watching something else?  Yes, but here's the thing.  I get to watch kid TV with my child.  You see, there was I time when I honestly thought I would not have children.  That sound strange coming from the mother of 3 expecting her 4th, but it is true.  I remember very clearly listening to my friends talking about Dora, Blue's Clues, and Barney.  Most mom's were happy to have shows that kept their children happy, occupied and taught them a few things along the way.  But there was always the complaints about, well, the obnoxious factor.  And I get it,  I know what they meant, but I would have given anything to have a reason to have the "Dora" theme song stuck in my head.  To watch Steve, a grown man, act completely silly with a bunch of animated creatures you know he can't see while filming.  There was a huge hole in my heart.  I wanted children so badly and I was happy to take whatever entertainment overtook my life as a result.  It seemed a little sacrifice.  I just wanted to be a mom. 
The Backyardigans came out just after when Jackson was born, and I have to admit; I love that show.  I think it has really great music, and it can be super funny.  I am glad I have the kid excuse to watch it.  I have wondered if I would like this show as much as I do, if I'd had no problems getting my kids.   I guess I will never know.  
I am so grateful that I will never know! I am grateful that I am able to tell what time it is based on what show is on PBS kids.  I am grateful that I know what a Spectacle Bear is because of Diego, and to know why earth worms come out in the rain because of the Kratt brother. 
Or even to have the Olivia theme song in my head because my 2 year old loves to sing it over and over.
 
The other thing is, I know that it all ends.  Jackson is already watching big kid shows.  When he gets control of the remote, he usually picks the History Channel, (that's totally normal for an 8 year old right?) 
So for now, I will sit with my Lily, and love every second watching the Fresh Beat Band with her.  Sure the songs drive me nuts, but it is so much better to me, than the alternative!

1 comment:

Lance n Amber said...

What a great post! I totally know what you mean.