I have written at least four post in the last few months that I never actually posted, but I think this one is going to make it.
Today Jackson came home from school and told me, that Julian, Devon and Maya, that's right I am naming names, (because their parents don't read my blog) told him that their New Years Resolution was to get our family to want to move away. Isn't that just the sweetest thing!? Seriously, I had already decided to take Jackson to another bus stop because the kids at ours are so mean to Jack. But I really can't take it anymore. What is it that makes kids so mean? I really want to know how kids pick the kid they are going to be picked on. I hate to bring this up, but I'm gonna. I was totally picked on and treated terrible in elementary school. I eventually had to change elementary schools it got so bad. (I will also interject that the change made all the difference.) I hate seeing the same thing happen to my child I want to protect him for going through the same things. In the movies, the kids that get picked on are all scrawny, or not smart or odd in some way, and call me nutty, but I just don't see that in my Jackson. I am not just posting this as a rant. (though it does feel good to rant) I SERIOUSLY want to know. WHAT IS IT? If I knew I would have changed who I was as a child to avoid this, and I will do what I can to keep this from happening to my child. I just can't stand seeing these kids singling out my child and treating him so poorly. WHO DOES THAT? Really tell me I want to know. And what drives me crazy is these kids have had Jackson in tears before getting on the bus many mornings, (and he used to not cry easily at all), and the parents just stand there as there kids are yelling and pushing Jackson. I am right there! Who do they think they are? I hate when I have to get in there to stop it because I hate confrontation, I hate feeling like I am fighting my son's battles, but most of all, THEIR PARENTS ARE RIGHT THERE! Why don't they do/say something.
Okay, I think I am done. The next post will be back to sunshine and rainbow. I promise, because that is what my kids are. They are all sunshine and rainbows despite what Julian, Devon and Maya think!
**I feel the need to add that Jackson is actually fine in all of this. I am the one who is mad. I asked Jackson how he felt about all of this and he told me he knew that it wasn't his fault, they were just being bullies. He doesn't want to be around them anymore though and I feel like that is just fine with me.** added 1-7-11
4 comments:
I like that you wrote this and that you are real about your feelings. What a horrible situation to be in as a mother. I would be pretty blown away watching parents stand back and do nothing if they knew what was going on. Maybe that is the first step, to make sure they know what is being said and that it beyond silly teasing. Girls tease boys when they like them so could this be the situation? If not then those kids are probably not happy themselves.
I was shy and quiet growing up but in our later years of high school (as I am sure you remember) I was very unhappy and angry which translated to being very mean to some people. Not something I am proud of but the reality is that there is probably more going on in those kids lives than you know. Let your mama bear come out and do what you need to do to protect your kids and that doesn't always mean fighting their battles for them.
Sorry you are dealing with this and I hope it gets better because he is a super cute boy(not personally knowing him you can see it in his smile).
Thanks for your kind words on my blog it really was helpful.
I am so sorry! That makes me want to cry just thinking of that! It is hard to say why kids are so mean. Insecurity and jealousy I would imagine are at the top of the list. They also say that the biggest bullies are the ones that have been bullied themselves! I think Jackson is a great kid! Pray about it and Heavenly Father can help you find a solution!
I'm with Emily on the praying thing. I don't blame you for being mad either. I would wonder if the parents are kind of bullies themselves and so the kids have learned this kind of behavior is expected/acceptable and since Jackson is so sweet and kind they find him as a "safe" target. Makes me so sad for him, though. I know bullying is starting to be a big problem and PA has started some programs to target this exact type of thing. Who knows, they may just be following the trends...
I am with you! It is really frustrateing and sad. I have one of my boys who always seems to be a target whereever we are. It brings out all kinds of emotions I never thought I would feel. The real sad part is that the parents usually don't see it, so talking to them will do no good! Seriously if I EVER heard,(not to mention wittnessed) my own kids bullying another, they would be hearing about it big time!! Unexceptable... I guess that is probably why they wouldn't do that. So sorry for Jackson, he is such an awesome kid!!! You can always go with the... there just jelouse!!! :)
Post a Comment