This summer, we took our boys on a hike at Ricketts Glen State Park. The hike is only a few miles, but there is a steep drop followed by a steep climb. For the last few miles we were starting to lose the boys. They were done and we were scrambling for ways to keep them going. I started telling Asher a story. I am not much of an on the fly story teller and I was kind of scrambling for material, but Asher was completely captivated by my story. I have told similar stories when we are camping and they want to hear a story. I should have written it down then, but I didn't really think about it until now so I will write the idea.
Once upon a time there were two brothers name Jackson and Asher. The lived in a magical chocolate land. One day they decided that they wanted to go for an adventure. So they got in their candy canoe, grabbed their pretzel paddles, and started to float down the River of Chocolate Milk. The floated and paddled and floated and paddled. After awhile they got hungry so they decided that they would stop. So they pulled their candy canoe over to the dark chocolate bank and got out. They started to hike until they reached Gumdrop Meadow. (this is where Asher reminds me that they have to eat something healthy first.) They saw the broccoli trees and each ate one whole tree. And then they started eating the gun drop flowers, and the licorice trees and when they were thirsty they drank from the chocolate milk brook that flowed through the meadow. And after they ate the realized that they were really tired, so they took a nap in the shade of the lollipop tree. When they woke up they saw that they were close to the Big Rock Candy Mountain, so the decided to hike up to the top. They loaded up their back packs with snacks from the Gumdrop Meadow (remebering to take some broccoli) and they headed up the mountain. It was a fun easy hike and they pretty much ran the whole way up and then they slid down the mountain on a rock candy slide. When the got down from the mountain, they got back in their candy canoe, grabbed their pretzel paddles and continued their journey down the chocolate river. The floated an paddled and enjoyed the warm butter scotch sun. Until they noticed that the sun was dipping low in the sky. So they, pulled the canoe over the bank, pulled out their candy bar phone and called their mom and dad to come and pick them up.
So mom and dad got in their chocolate van. Strapped Lollipop Lily Bean in her car seat and went and pick the boys up. They put the candy canoe on top of the car and were about to head home when they decided to go on another adventure...
It was at this point that Asher Hijacked the story. We still had about 30 minutes left to hike and I was fresh out of ideas. So Asher guided me to tell him about how we found a magic tunnel to the island of Sodor and from there I made up a Thomas story. Jackson was feeling left out so I somehow had to bring jets into the story. I was really surprised at how well I was able to keep the story going for close to an hour. The hard part is when they asked me to tell it again!
No comments:
Post a Comment