Friday, October 15, 2010

Jacksons Birthday Celebrations

jackson's bday celebration 139
jackson's bday celebration 137
We went to the Dulles Air and Space Museum. It is part of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, in a separate location. It is HUGE. And really amazing. We all really loved it. (well maybe not Lily, but she was stuck in a stroller all day.)

Jackson loves airplanes. If you are a reader of this blog I don't think that is a surprise. When asked by a docent at the museum, Jackson told him his favorite airplanes right now are World War II planes. The Docent was really surprised at how much Jackson knew. He really knows a lot about the planes and even the history of the war. After seeing the Enola Gay they now have a knowledge of atomic bombs ( I am still fielding questions about that one, thanks Mitch for giving them all the details.)
Jackson was so good at identifying planes and knowing if the were American, German (Asher says German-nin) or Japanese.
He is such a smart kid. It was so fun to watch him in a place that seemed built just for him.
jackson's bday celebration 328
SR-71 Blackbird
jackson's bday celebration 320
jackson's bday celebration 208
THE Enola Gay!
jackson's bday celebration 161
The boys got hats from a military surplus store. Jackson's is from 1941 and we believe Asher's is from the same time, however the date is worn off. They love these hats. I found them bomber jackets at H&M. They were pretty excited to pose for this picture in front of the F-14 Tomcat (you know the Top Gun plane.) I just wish they had aviator sunglasses as well.
jackson's bday celebration 191
And of course we had to get Mitch in a picture as well. His jacket is the real deal. He also has a hat, but we didn't think it wise for him to impersonate an officer since he no longer is one. Check out Asher in this one. He is a funny kid!
jackson's bday celebration 322
jackson's bday celebration 283
The observation tower where you can watch planes take off and land from Dulles International Airport.
jackson's bday celebration 277
These boys love each other so much! I love this picture, but it also makes me laugh because I think it looks kind of like an engagement picture pose.

1 comment:

Jen said...

We love that place! Even my girly girls loved it! I will keep an eye out for those aviator glasses. :)