Saturday, May 9, 2009

Shots

We took Jackson to get his kindergarten shots on Wednesday. And I have to tell you it was really funny. At first I didn't tell him what we were doing. We just told him he was getting immunizations, which he didn't understand. Then when we got into the room, Mitch explained to him what was going to happen, and he started to cry. Then they took him back with Mitch to start the process. It took forever and he screamed so loud nurses from other offices stopped by to asked what was going on, (like he's the only child who has screamed bloody murder over shots before.) He took the first 2 in the left leg pretty well, but when they twitched to the right leg for the last 2 he decided he had had enough and started to protest. At one point he said, "I don't want to do this anymore! I want to go back and play with Asher." The funny part is that when it was over, he thought he had just done the coolest thing. He came into the waiting room looking like the tough guy that he is. He gave Asher some of the pencils that he got from the nurse and then asked me if I thought he was so brave because he got shots. I had to laugh. He even wanted to bring the nurse that gave him the shots some chocolate. Afterwards his shots were all he could talk about. On the way home he went so far as to say he couldn't wait until he had to do shots again. Such a funny boy! My favorite was when he decided to discuss his shots for show-and-tell at school. I will try and quote him the best I can remember:

"This is what I will say 'I went and got shots so that I can go to kindergarten. I got four shots, two in each leg. I cried a little bit, but it wasn't that bad. When my little brother turns 5 he will get shots too'. And then I will have to take off my pants so that I can show everyone my shots."

At that point I told him maybe he could just talk about the shots because it is not appropriate to take your pants off at school. He didn't understand why. When I took him to school I warned the teacher that he might try to take off his pants but luckily he didn't try. When I asked him why he didn't try to show his shots, he said it was because they were all better. Silly boy!

There are no pictures because, again, it is not appropriate to take off your pants in public!

No comments: