Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Eve cont.


Another magical Christmas Eve! This year Jackson was so excited I didn't think he would make it. He was a nervous little guy all night long thinking about Santa coming. He actually asked for "Special medicine to help him sleep." I gave him a cough drop. It must have worked because they both dropped right off to sleep. Maybe it was because we had such a packed day. We started off with dinner: Roast beef with horseradish mustard sauce, broccoli with herbed butter, scalloped potatoes, and my Grandma Melba's cheese rolls.
For dessert: Strawberry lemon trifle. My family always had trifle for Christmas Eve dinner, I just did a variation of what my mom did, and put it in individual cups (because I don't have a trifle bowl.)For some reason the boys insisted on wearing ties! I don't get it, but it was pretty funny.

A rare picture of me enjoying the fruits of my labors.

We then attempted the Nativity play. That did not go very well. The boys were a little too ramped up. Jackson wanted to play all the parts except Mary, which got very confusing, and Asher kept absconding with our baby Jesus, saying he need to go to bed, then putting him in our bed. My favorite was when Jackson wanted to be a shepherd as well as the angel that appears to them. He stood on our ottoman and said, "Fear not, I have a message! In five years baby Jesus will be born." I think he jumped to the story of Samuel the Lamanite. After that we just sat the boys down and read the story. We sang a few Christmas songs, ate our final chocolate from the advent calendar and the boys were off to bed! I really love Christmas!

1 comment:

Rosanne said...

What a fancy dinner - you are a pro! nice work. :)