Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sometimes I forget.

Maybe it's because he's a boy, or maybe it is because he has grown up so much lately. He no longer loves Thomas trains or Disney's "Cars", he now loves super heroes and Hotwheels, ("I don't like cars that have eyes." or "I want to watch a show where there is fighting.") Or maybe it's that he just started writing, he comes to me and asks me to spell words for him so he can write them down. I am so impressed with how much and how fast he learns. He plays "Star Wars," tells long elaborate stories and talks to adults like he is their same age. With all this I forget sometimes that Jackson is still a little person and there are still little person things to be enjoyed.



Today at nap time Jackson asked me to read him a book. We don't normally do a book at nap time, but I wanted him to take a nap today with no drama so I was willing to do anything. He wanted me to read "Guess How Much I Love You." I knew we had this book, but I never thought to read it to him. He likes Pirate books and all things adventure and boy, this book just seemed too cute or too young for him. I read it to him, skipping a few lines here and there to make the reading go faster, and he would stop me and tell me to read the parts I had missed (I guess he has heard it before.) When I finished the book, he gave me one of his beautiful innocent smiles and with a giggle in his voice he said, "I like that book." I told him that I love him all the way to the moon and back, and then he stood on his bed and stretched up high to try and tell me all the ways he loves me. I can't believe I almost skipped this moment because I thought he was too old, or too boy. I remembered then, who this little boy is. He has always been the sweetest, most loving little boy with a heart so tender we often have to edit Disney movies. The little boy that just randomly in a sigh will say "Mommy, I just love you." I can't believe how fast my little baby has become a little boy, but I remembered today that the time doesn't need to go that fast. I just need to stop and pay a little more attention. I still have time to enjoy a sweet little boy that wished his arms were bigger so he could tell me how much he loves me...oh yeah and Daddy too!

3 comments:

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

What a beautiful story!! How cute. Isn't being a mom the best!!

Jen said...

Sweet Jackson! Give him a smooch from his "Aunt Jen."

Abs said...

Stop it! You are making me cry. That is so cute. Really I started to tear up a little.