Friday, March 21, 2008

Baby name tag

This is something I love to talk about and so I wanted to jump in on this tag. Any one from my family can tell you how much we love to talk about baby names. So here is the why we named our boys Jackson and Asher.


Jackson Mitchell Parrish- We just really liked the name. I really liked the name Jack and Mitch liked Jackson and we had a connection to Jackson, WY. we spent a lot of time there in hight school and college, it had some really great memories. When he was born we really could have called him anything we had three names on our list and I looked at him called him all three and they all fit, I just couldn't decide. In the end we just went with the one that we had liked the longest. I think Mitch was really pulling for Jackson. It really suits him so well. He is a Jack. There is something so amazing about him and his name seems to fit the look in that little boys eyes. Then we gave him his dad's name for a his middle name, that was keeping with tradition.















Our sweet little Jackson! Who could ever resist those eyes.


Asher Douglas Parrish- This name was given to us by divine intervention. I really feel that his name was meant to be. I like names with a hard sound, Jack for example, I like the [k] sound. I had this list of names that I liked and then I remember one day just saying that I liked the name Asher. And as I said it, I remember thinking "that's his name." Keeping in mind we didn't know what we were having, I just have a girl name already so we were only working on a boy's names. I kind of let it go after a few people expressed a dislike for the name. Then suddenly, 6 weeks early, with crazy and scary birth circumstances, I had a little boy and no boy name to give him. I knew that if I had a boy his middle name would be Douglas after my dad, but that was all we had. We came up with a list. Mitch had his favorites and I had mine. It wasn't until the first night in the hospital that everything that happened with his birth hit me and I realized that we were so blessed and lucky to have this little boy with us alive and perfectly healthy. The next day we decided to take advantage of the computers in the NICU to look up the names on our list and see what they meant. They all had nice meanings and I liked them but nothing really stuck. It was sort of an after thought I asked Mitch to look up Asher, I thought I already knew what it meant, but there it was on the computer screen happy, lucky, blessed. At that moment I knew my little boy neede to be neamed Asher. I was even able to soften the harsh critics of the name by telling them the meaning. It took some convincing, Mitch had his heart set on another name. But eventually mom won out. From the moment I started calling him Asher it felt so perfect. And it just suits him perfectly. And we really are happy, lucky and blessed to have him in our lives.







Asher in the NICU, and that happy beautiful smile today!










Now I would like to tag. Ann, Melanie, Kim, Abby, Amber, Melissa and Dana, or anyone who reads this blog that loves talking about their kids names.

3 comments:

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Now that I have Abe, I can't say that Jackson is the cutest baby I've ever seen anymore, but man he sure comes in a close second! Neat stories...thanks for sharing!

Megan J. Dawson said...

Such good solid names, for two cute boys!

jordan said...

cute. I already pretty much knew the background of the names but it's fun to read.