Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Alaska-Prince William Sound

The first and biggest adventure of our trip to Alaska, was a boat ride on Prince William Sound.  One of Mitch's best friends growing up, Jake Malouf and his wife Amy have lived in Anchorage for the past 9 years.  Jake was able to rent a boat due to his connection to the military (the military has it's advantages!)  We woke up that Monday morning to RAIN!  As Amy put it, there was really no reason for us to even leave the house that day, but being Alaskans (at least for the week),  we loaded up and set out for the day.  By the time we got to the Sound the rain had stopped, and within hours we saw the sun!  It got so warm that Mitch and Jake did a little water skiing, (not a normal activity on Prince William Sound.)  It was such a great day! 

We didn't bring beanies with us since August is summer in the "lower 48" not the start of fall.  So, we took a trip to Fred Meyers (love that store) and bought Carhartt hats.  How very Alaskan of us.
alaska-7 webalaska-12e web
the first order of business was to drop the shrimp pots
alaska-9e web
alaska-44e web
.
alaska-45 web
We spotted some ocean wildlife. First we saw a pod of Dall's porpoises, they look like Killer whales, but they are the size of dolphins.
alaska-3e web
and we saw a sea otter.
alaska-14 web
We fished for Silver Salmon.  It was a sucessful day of fishing, both Jake and Mitch brought in nice big silvers. (Yes, we figured out a way to bring that fish home, and it has been delicious.)
alaska-19 web
alaska-21e web
this picture cracks me up, look at Asher's face, he does not want to touch that fish.
alaska-22 web
alaska-24e web
We went back and checked our shrimp pots.
alaska-26e web
Then we found a nice beach where we could light a fire to cook our lunch, skip rocks, recover from sea sickness (that's just me), pick berries, hike around and just hang out.
alaska-28e webalaska-30 webalaska-37e webalaska-40e web
Then there was the waterskiing. At first I thought these guys were crazy when they started talking about it. But then the sun came out, the water got glassy and the opportunity was too good to pass up. I have to admit, I kind of wish I had done it. I am kicking myself, because while it is super cool that these guys water skiied on Prince William Sound, it would have been super, super cool if a GIRL did it. But, alas, I was not in my right mind being just a little sea sick.  I didn't even consider it until we got home. These pictures are pretty amazing, (I wish there was one of me.) I love the snowy mountains in the background.
alaska-47 webalaska-48 webalaska-2e web
After the waterskiing, we headed home.  The water was so smooth for the skiing, then, suddenly, the water got CRAZY. It was a little precarious getting home.  Jake swore it wasn't that bad and he had seen worse, but there were a few bumps that were just a little to big for me. We made it home safe and sound, and fell happily into bed that night. There is nothing like earning a good nights sleep with a full day of fun.

3 comments:

the child family said...

Wow, Wendy! So beautiful!!

Brooke said...

These pictures are so pretty Wendy! I love them.

Jon and Melissa said...

So, so beyond cool. Jon's dream is to go back to Alaska for a visit. He lived there 7 years and has a special place in his heart for it.