I had to go thank him, He had just changed my whole day. Suddenly everything felt better. The delay in our travel schedule seemed just a little thing. As I approached him I began crying again. He actually apologized for making me cry. It is a good cry I told him, I needed it.
It has been eight years since I graduated with my music degree, and 6 years since I became a mother. There was a time when music was everything to me and now, most days it seems like a memory. But experiences like this one, remind me of the power of music. Carefully planned out notes played on a cello by a master, and everything changes. Again I am drawn back to my piano, and back to my music books because I know what listening and creating music does for me.
The cellist in the terminal reminded me of a story read by my 20th century music history teacher, Dr. Madsen. [Read it here.] If you have the time it is well worth reading. I know that remembering this story is another reason why I was brought to tears. What power a true master musician has!

Disclaimer, I am by no means comparing my story to this one. The story of the cellist of Sarajevo is so beautiful. And it is one of the reasons why the cello I heard that drab morning meant so much to me.
This is the piece that my cellist played
1 comment:
Wow - this post got me teary-eyed. Beautiful...just beautiful. I can imagine what the beautiful music did for you that day. And I'm glad he was there...and did what he did. ;)
Post a Comment