Friday, June 26, 2009

What I will Miss in Great Falls

1. Check-a-Child: I judged this place at first, like much of you are probably doing right now, but this place turned out to be the best place ever. It is drop in child care. So I could take the kids there, for pretty much anything. I had a lot of doctor's appointments really early in the morning, so instead of bringing them with me or trying to find someone who didn't have kids in school, I would just take them to Check-a-Child. It was even great for Date Night. We could drop the kids off with some dinner, then go to a movie, or out to eat. It was so great. I really don't know what I am going to do with out it!



2. The Peak: This was my gym. I lived there especially in the winter. It was the greatest little escape in my day. They had an awsome child care that the kids loved. And I loved all the classes and people there. I even worked there the last few months as a group cycling (spinning) instructor. I never would have thought to get certified if it hadn't been for the classes I was taking there. I did my first triathlon there and I got back into swimming again. They also offered swimming lessons for the boys almost year round. It was a great place and again, I don't know what I will do with out it.

3. The Rivers and mountains: The Missiouri River ran right through town and it was beautiful. We would take the boys for walks along the river where they would throw rocks, and Mitch loved to canoe, kayak or float the river in some way. I was fun to have such a cool feature so close to home. There were also other rivers in the area that we were blessed to enjoy. We ran the Smith river a few times. Mitch did the Dearborn, and even got some good salmon fishing in on some other near by rivers. We had a great ski resort near town and the best part was they had super cheap child care for before Asher was skiing. It was also a great place for the boys to learn to ski. I will miss the mountains.

4. The Resturants: This one might seem strange for those of you who still live there, but I thought there were some unique local owned resturants in town that were really great and I will miss. The Breaks, Bert and Ernies, The Suki Cafe (new and so good), McKenzie River Pizza (all over Montanan, but not out here), and The Cattelmen's Cut just to name a few. Not to mention the Macaroni Grill where me and April went any time we felt the occasion warranted going out to eat. I will miss the resturants mostly because we dont' have Check-a-Child so we won't be able to go out anymore.




5. The GF 5th ward: Such amazing people. I still can't get over how everyone came to our rescue when everything happened with my pregnancy. We had child care and help with the move and the cleaning. Most of all we felt the love and support of people with hearts of gold. I am so grateful. I will also miss the R.S. book group. I enjoyed eing a part of the book group for the last three years. I made great friends and we read many great books. I was nice to have something that I felt enriched my mind, when so much of my day to day can seem like it is turning my brain to mush. I wish I could skype in on all the book group gatherings from here so I don't miss a thing.




6. Friends: I made great friends in Great Falls. Some of which I hope are lifetime friends. I am so gratful for fun people to laugh with. Smart people to learn from, kind people who were always there when I needed a person. In GF I really felt Heavenly Father looking out for me and providing a friend when I needed someone.

7. Doctors: We had wonderful healthcare in our little town in Montana. Kelly Timmer is actually a Nurse Practitioner, she was a life saver. She handled all the infertility in town and she was amazing. She would come in any time any day, she was always a phone call away and I truely felt like she cared about us. She became a great friend. When it became clear that we would need IVF to have another child, she was connected with another amazing doctor, Dr. Corfman in Minnasota. We were able to do all of our preliminary work in GF and only had to be im Minniapolis for three days. When I became pregnant, she was almost as happy as we were. Then we were hooked up with Dr. Key, the high risk pregnancy doctor in town. He is my hero right now. He is the kindest man you will ever meet. Again, he truely cares and you can feel that, and he is so smart! I am so grateful for his thorough manner. We still have this baby because of him. I am also grateful for the doctors at Mitch's clinic. For some reason we needed to go to the clinic more than any other time in our life. We had broken arms, strep, swallowed pennies, ITP and other various illnesses and the great Docs of Flight medicine were always there to help.
8. Glacier: We were just 2 beautiful hours form Glacier National park. I was beautiful and such a great place to take our family for weekend camping trips.

9. My House: I loved my house. Now that we are in a new place I realize even more how good we had it. I loved my huge basement, large and private backyard, kitchen, sun room, big driveway where the kids could ride there bikes for hours. I was a wonderful place to live. I will miss it everyday, at least for a while.

10. My husband: Mitch worked clinic hours. M-F 8:00-4:30. Yes there were times when he worked longer hours. He even took call a lot. But he was home pretty much every night. I remember intership. I remember putting my kids to bed by myself every night. I know what we are getting ourselves back into, and I know that I won't be seeing him as much as we did in Montana. I will miss him, and I know the boys will miss him as well.

Our time in Montana was wonderful. We are so greatful for our time there. We know that we were truly blessed to be living there for the last three years. We were a little unsure of our decision to do the Air Force when they pulled us into active duty before residency, but it turned out to be such a blessing. I hope to eventually make Montana our permanent home. One more big thank you to everyone in Great Falls, past and present, who helped make our time there so wonderful.

2 comments:

Dave and Mel said...

this is a great post and one you'll love to look back one.

becky said...

Yes, I also cringed when I first heard of check-a-child, but it has been a life saver many times. I felt a lot better about it when I realized that one of the main managers used to be my next-door neighbour and our kids played together frequently. Peak is definately a favorite, as is Glacier, although I am truly wondering what part of Glacier you can get to in just 2 hours. It takes us about 4 to get where we like to go.

We miss you already! Hope you are feeling well.