Thursday, June 11, 2009

Upside down

We have been having a little bit of a tough time. If you care to know the whole story, read on.



This is me in the hospital one week ago. There are no other pictures because it gets pretty ugly after this.



Last week I went in my my scheduled 20 week ultrasound, after checking all the usual fun stuff with the baby, (it's still a girl). The ultrasound tech told me she had to check some other stuff as part of the exam. Our first red flag. Basically my cervix was opening. This is not good. I think here is a good place for a little background. We were in the process of moving. Movers were at our house packing boxes that very day. The truck was coming the next day and we were scheduled to drive away just a few days later. So, back to the story. My doctor came in, gave me the news then told me to go home pack a bag and go check into the hospital where I would be on bed rest and given medications in preparation for surgery the next day. He would be placing a cerclage to close off my cervix and keep the baby in my belly. We began to spin our wheels and try to figure out a new plan. We found child care for our kids, found some one to come supervise the movers and tried not to think about how scary this all was.

I spent that night and half of the next day in and inverted position. That is where it started to get ugly. All the blood that rushed to my head made my eyes swell up, and I had really pretty bed head. That afternoon I was wheeled in for surgery. There the doctor found that things were worse than the day before but he was able to place the cerclage and save the day. I then entered three days, again in an inverted position, that I don't have much memory of other than, pain, fear and a revolving door or wonderful nurses.

By Tuesday I was starting to enter the world again, and Wednesday I was home. Well, sort of. Remember the moving part. Our house is empty with the exception of a mattress, suitcases, a few camping chairs and a camp table, and of course our lap top.

I am doing well. The baby is doing great, and we are expected to make a full recovery. The move to across the country is on, just a little more complicated and I will be on bed rest of some kind for the rest of the pregnancy. This little girl already has quit a story and she is only 14 ounces!

Dr, Key, Ronnie and Karen are my heros. They were so kind and concerned when helping us understand everything that was going on. Dr. Key is a genious who has been so helpful, and we feel so blessed to have had him as our doctor during the remaing time we have here.

I also want to tell everyone that has been so helpful thank you, thank you, thank you. Mitch and I could never have gone through all of this without all the help and prayers that have been offered on our behalf. I don't know if I will ever be able to express how grateful we are. And for me I am so grateful for a husband who was so loving and helpful when all the weight of the move and everything else that we have coming up shifted on to him. He just pressed forward, got everything done and remained my support and comfort during such a difficult and scary time. He truely deserves the Father, and Husband of the Year award, every year for the rest of his life!

14 comments:

Carrie said...

Good luck with all these new not so fun challenges. I'm glad things turned out as good as they did. Great job Mitch for carrying on! Wendy, take it easy. You'll be in my prayers.

~Carrie Douglas Morris

the child family said...

Wendy!
First of all that was a dirty trick, making me read that whole thing in BLACK and WHITE! (still
can't see :)

Second of all, we are so glad everything is okay. We've been thinking about you and praying for you but didn't dare call for fear that we'd make you throw up :(

Third, very interesting - just like we learned it in school - the trendelenburg position, the cerclage, etc (Sorry, but I find that interesting...you understand...you married a doctor)

I'm telling you, these girls make you EARN THEM!

Keep us updated!

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Wendy, I'm so sorry to hear you are having such a hard time! I hope you do have a full recovery and that your move goes well. We'll be thinking of you and that little girl of yours!

Melody said...

Wendy I talked to your Mom the other day and she told me everything that is going on. I hope that everything is going ok. You and your family have been in our prayers. Good luck with everything. We love you!

Jen said...

Wendy, I am glad everything is OK. Good luck with the move, and hang in there!

Jon and Melissa said...

You sound so positive! Wow! I have been wanting to call you, but didn't know how talking upside down on the phone would make you feel. Also I definatly owe you bed rest package of some sort, but miss limbo might make it hard for me to find you. I have heard a plan change about ten different times! We are still praying for you and that sweet little stinker(you should have known she would give you grief from the ultra sound pics!) Henry LOVED going with Jackson and Asher to the Air show. Keep us updated!
Love ya!

Amber M. said...

Oh, Wendy. I'm sorry, but so glad to hear that things are going to be okay. How scary!

By the way, Roni and Dr. Key are my heros, too. Please give them my love!

Mary said...

Wow! How scary for you! I was worried when I saw the picture that you had to deliver! Whew! And I'm so glad you get your little girl! Can't wait to see her. Hershey will be a blast... go see HAP's summer show for me (I think it's King & I) :) Good luck!

jordan said...

wow! I knew the story second hand from mom, but in first person, very scary!
It's crazy because it happened at a horrible time, but also a good time. What if it was a week later at the cabin! I hope you're feeling better and that the baby can stay in as long as possible!

Martie said...

We're so relieved that everything is OK, Wendy, and I am glad you had an ultrasound scheduled at the time when you really needed it and you had time to make things work out for the best because of that.

Moving is stressful enough without the scary baby stuff. Hang in there! I hope everything goes well from now on.

Love,

Martie

Abs said...

So scary when unplanned things happen in your pregnancy. I'm glad things are going better. I don't think I mentioned congrats on a baby girl, so Hurray for a little girl!

April said...

Wendy,
You are such a trooper. I know how terrified you were but you kept such a positive outlook. Sorry I couldn't do more than just visit. Hang in there!

A house full of five said...

Way to go with keeping a positive, prayerful attitude. You've got a Parrish husband, so you know you'll always be well taken care of! I hope things will go smoothly once you get to Hershy. We will keep you in our prayers.
Love to you and your little stinker!!

The Harrises said...

I'm really sorry that this all went down at this busy time! I hope you are doing well. Will you send me your address in Hershey when you get a chance, I have something for you:
matandmic@gmail.com